Annually in September, an international jury chooses the year’s four Laureates.
Jury members come from different countries, continents, professions and fields of experience. They have wide experience of international affairs and, in particular, of global justice and environment issues. They serve independently and in their personal capacities; institutional affiliations in the list below are given only for purposes of identification.
Jury members are invited by the board on an annual basis. Membership changes over time in order to ensure the broadest possible scope of expertise, perspectives and issues.
Apart from the trustees, who usually also serve as jury members, its past and present members include:
- Tani Adams, Guatemala. Founder and former Director, Greenpeace Latin America.
- Nnimmo Bassey, Nigeria. Right Livelihood Award Laureate and Executive Director of Health of Mother Earth Foundation.
- Brizio Biondi-Morra, Costa Rica. President, Avina Foundation.
- Frank Bracho, Venezuela. Former Ambassador to India.
- Rodrigo Carazo, Costa Rica. Former President.
- Diana Cohn, Senior Program Officer, Panta Rhea Foundation.
- Anwar Fazal, Malaysia. Right Livelihood Award Laureate, former President, International Organisation of Consumers Unions/Consumers International.
- James George, Canada. Former Ambassador, Member of the UN Disarmament Commission.
- Birgitta Hambraeus, Sweden. Former Member of Parliament.
- Sven Hamrell, Sweden. Senior Adviser, Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation.
- Thor Heyerdahl, Norway. Author and Explorer.
- Sir Richard Jolly, UK. Honorary Professor, University of Sussex, former Deputy Executive Director, UNICEF.
- Doris Kareva, Estonia. Former Secretary-General, Estonian National Commission for UNESCO.
- Luis Lopezllera, Mexico. President, Promocion del Desarrollo Popular (PDP).
- Josh Mailman, USA. Founder, Threshold Foundation.
- Anuradha Mittal, India/USA. Executive Director, Oakland Institute.
- Thandika Mkandawire, Malawi. Director of UNRISD.
- Robert Muller, France. Former Assistant Secretary-General of the UN.
- Ahmedou Ould-Abdallah, Mauritania. Former Special Representative of the UN Secretary General for Somalia.
- Vithal Rajan, India. Chairman, Confederation of Voluntary Associations.
- Anne Rüffer, Switzerland. Publisher. Board Member, Right Livelihood Award Foundation Switzerland.
- Ursula Schulz-Dornburg, Germany. Founder and Chairperson, Grassroots Foundation.
- Kristina Svensson, Sweden. Former MP and Ambassador to Zimbabwe and Zambia.
- Albert Tevoedjre, Benin. Former Assistant Director-General of the ILO.
- Michaela Walsh, USA. Founder and past President of Women’s World Banking.
- Ponna Wignaraja, Sri Lanka. Former Secretary-General of the Society for International Development (SID).
Please note: All communications about the Jury should be addressed to our office in Stockholm, not to its individual members.